April 30, 2008

5-city seminar tour teaches Dreamweaver and CSS

Even though this doesn't fall specifically under the topic of Illustrator, I thought it would be relevant to you folks, especially considering how many of you are designers and how many of you publish web content.

MOGO Media and Adobe have announced a 5-city seminar tour entitled "Getting Started with Dreamweaver and CSS" which is a one-day web publishing workshop to help designers fully grasp the concepts of modern web publishing. In truth, I used to be a GoLive user and was comfortable only on a superficial level with web publishing in general. I thought I understood what CSS was as I had drawn comparisons to what I thought was similar functionality within print-based programs like InDesign. When I tried my hand at Dreamweaver, there was a huge disconnect and I just couldn't seem to "get it".

Then I tripped on some information on CSS and realized that I really only had half the equation. While InDesign styles map to the CSS style attributes, I was missing out on the CSS layout part of the process. Then, when I truly understood what the word "cascade" really meant, it all clicked and Dreamweaver suddenly came to life before my eyes. It is for this reason that I worked closely with Brian Wood, who is the instructor for the seminar series, to help develop content that I think will really help designers understand web publishing on a totally different level.

The seminar only costs $49 for the day and will appear in the following cities:

- Los Angeles, May 29
- New York City, June 4
- Washington DC, June 17
- Chicago, June 24
- Boston, June 26

You can get more information and register at www.mogoseminars.com.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think many CSS proponents, myself included, would take issue with the idea of learning CSS through Dreamweaver. It just doesn't generate very good code (not that any piece of software ever does), and bad code tends to make newcomers write languages off as unreadable voodoo gibberish they can never hope to understand, thereby halting the learning process before it even starts.

It's definitely gotten better over the years, but I still believe that Dreamweaver will ultimately help people develop far more bad habits than websites. I've certainly got plenty of them.

Anonymous said...

Mordy, do you think the presentation will be documented? I *just* started learing CSS (using DW and CSSEdit). I'd love to be able to see the presentations and "learn along"....

Cn't really be bothered with the bad code thing...I'll worry about that when I'm capable of understanding 'everything CSS'

Unknown said...

I hear the arguments -- but kinda like Woz said, I'm first interested in learning what everything does and how it works - then I'll worry about good code. Although I get the feeling that "good code" will always be something handwritten. Like a chef who will always insist that bread made from scratch is better than that bought from a store. I'm not saying we should accept something less than perfect, but from my experience, DW has been pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Please bring this seminar to Florida! We're not all wackos like you read about in the papers. We have web designers too.

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha. And in Amsterdam we're not all pot-smoking hippies. Peace!


So how about it Mordy? Will we be able to access this wunderfull information online?

Unknown said...

At the moment, there are no plans for making this seminar available online. However, we are looking into recording it live and making a recording available. Is that of interest? Let me know.

Mariella, I LOVE Florida! At the moment, there are jsut these 5 cities, but if the series becomes popular enough, we will be adding more cities.

Anonymous said...

Well considering I just paid a lot of money to receive a personal DW/CSS course of 2 days... It's sure is of interest for me ;-)

I feel the CSS sites should to pick up on this as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mordy! How was the the NY DW+CSS seminar?

Unknown said...

Hi Marcos! The NY Dreamweaver CSS seminar was AMAZING! We had over 450 people in attendance, and it was really a great day for learning and fun. Sorry you couldn't be there...